Issues for Discussion

Topics in this forum should be problem/issue oriented.
Discussions under a topic should be solution/action oriented.

If you have a suggested action unrelated to issues listed, please identify the problem your action solves and create a new topic for it.

What issue should we address?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. the dojo has no onboarding process to integrate and inform new members

New members are pretty much on their own to integrate themselves into the community and figure out the dojo's model and how they can help.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    24 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Coffee beans / powder runs out

We've been running out of coffee beans / powder a lot lately. What is the process for restocking this very key ingredient to many member's productivity?

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. We need better desks.

The sun room has good desks but the ones on the deck & savannah are not that comfortable. As a coworking space, I think good desks are key.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Member burnout?

Some members (Katy, Brian, Stig and others) contribute much more than the median member. I'm concerned that this may engender resentment, and eventual burnout. Not sure if this is a problem yet, but people may be reluctant to say anything until it's too late, so I'm bringing it up now.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. the dojo "model" is unclear

Depending on the source of info the Dojo is represented as a subscription for a service, a self-run cooperative, or a coworking site.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. It is difficult to hold private client meetings at the Dojo

I recently met with a consulting client at the Dojo. We met one weekday evening and I was able to reserve the reservable cubby and it went fine. We came back Saturday and all cubbies were in use, and ended up going to his office instead. This got me thinking about the situation regarding events, cubbies, and private meetings. Clearly we all have occasional need to meet privately with clients, investors, partners, etc. at the Dojo, and the cubbies are fine for this, but it's hard to guarantee one will be available when scheduling the meeting. Currently the only ways…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. We should have a better way to let members know what the dojo needs and how they can help

I think it would be great to have an app dedicated to projects happening at the dojo. It could provide a way for members to direct how the dojo grows by lending support (either physical work, materials, or donations) to the projects which are most in line with their own vision for the dojo. It could also have a voting system similar to the one here to help the directors decide what is most in need of funding from the dojo itself.

I am underwater with paid work at the moment, but once I have that under control I would…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Members often don't know to check their @hackerdojo e-mail

This is a significant problem because we'll often contact a member with important communication regarding an event they are hosting, for example, and it will be lost into a black hole.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Lighting Problems

PROPOSAL -- September 2011 member Meeting: We should spend $1,000 from the general fund on LED lighting. This should be done because a number of older mercury laden light bulbs have burned out, and this affects members ability to do their work. Additionally the replacement of fluorescent tubes with LEDs will reduce the Dojos energy bill, but also mitigate the Dojo's liability. If you break a fluorescent tube, cost for hazardous materials cleanup and testing can run up to $2200. All spent fluorescent tubes have to be properly disposed of and this increases the burden to staff at the Dojo,…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. No formal tracking of why members leave

Right now, if someone drops out of the dojo, we don't have an easy way to know why they're leaving. Is it cost? Bad smells? Rude members?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. no inventory of tools/supplies

It's difficult to know what tools/supplies are are at the dojo. As a result, people may not be aware that the tool they need is here, and may purchase more unnecessarily.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Issues for Discussion

Feedback and Knowledge Base